Stags 29 Blaydon IIs 8

By Old P*** - April 19 2009
Stags 29 Blaydon IIs 8
Coates First Try The Stags are CaNDY Champions! The second team county cup holders Blaydon visited Brinkburn in the penultimate CaNDY League game of the season, with high hopes, having beaten the Stags in the Semi Final of the cup only 6weeks ago.
The Stags buoyed by the recent run of results particularly Wednesday night knew that they needed a good performance to challenge Tynedaleís supremacy in the Candy league. With the match be called a double header with regard to league points there was all to play for, for both sides.

The match started with what seemed an unusual combination of errors from the Stags where they dropped the ball from the kickoff and then promptly gave away three penalties on the trot. The third of which the Blaydon kicker missed what seemed a very easy kick. From this the Stags moved the ball down field very quickly and where awarded a penalty right under the posts on the 4 minute mark converted by S. Waites (3-0).

Within two minutes of the restart Blaydon were awarded a penalty under the posts twenty metres out which they had no trouble converting (3-3).

The Stags then began to put the visitors under severe pressure and were rewarded with a try by A. Coates from five metres out, on the 15 minute mark, converted by S. Waites (10 -3).

The rest of the half was dominated by the defences of both sides who despite the obvious attacking flair showed by both teams held up very well.

The Stags put the visitorís line under severe pressure from the kick off. But it took until the 50th minute of the game before Stags captain N. Howe was put in the clear to burst through the last line of the visitors defence to run in for a try under the posts, converted by S. Waites (17-3).

The Stags kept up the pressure on the visitors and on the 65th minute mark after a mazy run buy full back S. Jordan through the Blaydon defence he sent out a perfectly timed pass to left wing T. Armstrong some fifteen metres out for him to race in wide out on the left win, unconverted (22-3).

Blaydon then began to exert a period of pressure on the Stags and they managed to cross the line on the 73 minute mark, unconverted (22-8).

With the end of the game in sight the Stags took the game back up to the victors twenty-two in an attempt to score a fourth try which would gain them two extra league bonus points. After a series of scrums, being awarded for being held up over the line and a series of line-outs on the visitorís line the Stags finally managed to get quick ruck ball on the 77th minute five metres from the touch line and five metres from the goal line where scrum half L. Mallinson fed prop forward J. Greenwell who charged over a covering defender to score the vital fourth try, converted by S. Waites (29-8).

As a result of this victory The Stags have managed to overtake Tyndale at the top of the CaNDY league and because there is no more time left to play the remaining games the Stags have been confirmed as League Champions for 2009.

CaNDY League 2009
Division 1 Played Won Lost Points
West Hartlepool Stags 9 8 1 39
Tynedale II 9 8 1 37
Horden II 8 2 6 13
Blaydon 7 3 4 13
Morpeth 8 2 6 11
Westoe 5 0 5 2

Stags team J. Greenwell, (J. Norris 50), A. Dixon (R. Wood 65), A. Coates (J. Greenwell 65) B. Lloyd (C. Young 60), P. Henderson, C. Young (A. Robson 30) A. Barker, A. Cameron, S. Waites, S. Cavey, T. Armstrong, N. Howe (Captain) G. Edwards, L. Mallinson, S. Jordan.

Congratulations to all of the players who have been involved and coaches for a magnificent league season.