Driffield 7 Stags 11

By Old P*** - April 1 2009
Driffield 7 Stags 11
Drop goal The Stags set off for Kelleythorpe with the aim of getting some game time under their belt after the recent spell of inactivity. Having travelled through win rain sunshine and hailstones no one quite knew what to expect when they arrived at the ground.
As it turned out they were to go through the same changes of weather throughout the game which was well refereed by Mr Harris, but which was dominated by the strong wind blowing across the pitch.

The Stags opted to play with the slight wind advantage of a strong North Westerly wind behind them. From the Driffield kick of the ball was not taken cleanly and with the large home pack rampaging up field, it was left to their extremely large second row to charge over the Stags line to the right of the posts after a tremendous hand off with only three minutes on the clock converted (7-0).

From the restart the majority of the play was in the Stags half and it was only because of some tremendous last ditch tackling that the home team were prevented from adding to their tally. The line-outs were a considerable lottery due to the wind and neither side gained the upper hand throughout the game.

However the younger and much lighter Stags pack more than held their own and as the game wore on began to seriously pressurise their much bigger counterparts. As a result of which the home team began to struggle and with some astute kicking from Thomas and Wallis the ball was worked into the home half, and on the 22nd minute mark the Stags were awarded a penalty on the twenty two metre line kicked by Wallis (7-3).

Buoyed by this success the Stags were immediately back on the attack and as a result of some very good interplay: hooker R. Wood was given the ball at the side of a ruck some eight metres out on the 26 minute mark and he charged over the line to score wide out on the right, unconverted (7-8).

With no further score in the half they sides turned round with Driffield now having the wind advantage they obviously fancied their chances of turning the score around. However no one except the West faithful expected them to be completely shut out in the second half.

Where; based upon a solid scrum which drove the home side back at every opportunity, and some tremendous first up tackling by Captain N. Howe and the rest of the backs. Supported by the hard graft and guile of the Stags back row, the home team could not cross the Stags line.

In a rare visit to the Driffield half after failing to score wide out on the left wing the ball was moved back into the centre of the field on the 57th minute mark and Stand off P. Wallis kicked a drop goal (his third in two weeks) (7-11).

For the last period of the game the home team threw every thing they had at the Stags but failed to score.

This game was a tremendous boost to the Stags and a good warm up for the Candy league and Pyman cup games to come in the next few weeks.

Stags: R. O’Connor, R. Wood, J. Greenwell, B. Lloyd, M. Kemp, C. Young, A. Barker., A. Cameron, D. Thomas, P. Wallis, S. Butcher (A. Larkin 20), N. Howe (Capt) S. Cavey, A. Hare, S. Jordan (T. Armstrong 40). Referee Mr J. Harris: Yorkshire Referees Society.