Stags 76 Westoe IIs 17

By Old P*** - March 15 2009
Stags 76 Westoe IIs 17
Stu Waites The Stags entertained Westoe II at am sunny if somewhat breeze day at Brinkburn in a CANDY league fixture, hoping to put aside the disappointment of last week’s second team cup exit to Blaydon behind them.
The visitors started very brightly and put the Stags under immediate pressure. Their big forwards secured quick ruck ball three times in succession and they ran in the games opening try with two minutes on the clock on the fifteen metre line to the right of the posts, unconverted (0-5).

This rather poor start surprised the young Stag’s side who from the resultant kickoff moved the ball into the visitor twenty two and were awarded a penalty right in front of the posts on the 8 minute mark for killing the ball, kicked by Waites (3-5).

The Stags again moved the ball quickly from the kick off into the bottom right hand corner of the pitch where after a series of rucks 5 metres out prop Greenwell charged over wide out on the 10 minute mark for the Stags first try, unconverted (8-5).

Three minutes later winger Armstrong was set in the clear fifteen metres out to score down the right wing, converted by Waites (15-5).

With the Stags pinning Westoe back on their own line the next score on the 26 minute mark was as a result of a pick up and drive over from 5 metres out by Boatman again on the right, unconverted (20-5).

The Stags then pinned the visitors back into their own half and Wallis proceeded to kick successive drop goals on the 32nd and 38th minute, (26-5).

The last play of the half saw Butcher run in an excellent try unconverted; half time score (31-5).

Two minutes into the second half flanker Smart crossed the line on the right wing, unconverted (36-5).

Followed; on the four minute mark by Jordan crossing under the post converted by Waites (41-5).

Westoe however where not going to lie down and their left wing ran in from twenty metres out, unconverted (41-10).

The Stags scored again two minutes later when Edwards rounded off some good handling by the backs to score under the posts (48-10).

Westoe again attacked the Stags and on the 52 minute mark as a result of some sloppy defensive work their flanker scored under the posts, converted (48-17).

This score really stung the Stags into action and further tries were added by Barker on the 65 minute mark converted by Waites, (55-17), Jordan 68 minute mark converted by Waites (62-17), Miller on 73 minute mark converted by Waites (69-17) and on the 74th minute mark by stand off Wallis, unconverted leaving the final score as (76-17).

This result was one to savour for the supporters as the Stags showed their true potential against a good Westoe team, in a game that was well refereed by Simon Goatcher of the Durham Referees Society.

Stags: J. Greenwell (A. Palmer 60mins), A. Dixon (R. Wood), R. O’Connor (J. Greenwell 70), P. Henderson (Capt), B Lloyd, S. Smart (C. Young 50), A. Barker (A. Cameron 50), J. Boatman, S. Waites, P. Wallis, T. Armstrong, S. Cavey (P. Miller 50), G. Edwards, ( W. Turnbull), S. Butcher, S Jordan