Stags 25 Tynedale Raiders 21

By Old P*** - March 3 2009
Stags 25 Tynedale Raiders 21
First Try The Stags entertained league leaders Tynedale on a lovely spring afternoon with a good breeze blowing from the South they opted to play the first half with the wind behind them towards the clubhouse.
From the kick off the visitors charged straight down field and it took some dogged defending by the Stags to keep them out however on the 6 minute mark they were penalised for killing the ball on the twenty two and the Tynedale kicker made no mistake (0-3).

The Stags then began to exert some pressure of their own and on the 26th minute mark some poor defending by the visitors, and some very slick handling allowed full back Andrew Hare to be put in the clear to run in on the right wing, unconverted (5-3)

4 minutes later the visitors were penalised for handling the ball at a ruck on their own twenty two metre line and the resultant penalty was kicked by Stu Waites (8-3).

From the kick off the majority of the play was in the Stags half until a break in midfield by the excellent Stags back row saw them charge up field and the ball was moved to Neil Howe who scored on the left wing, unconverted (13-3).

Just on half time Tynedale were awarded a penalty for an infringement off the ball in the Stags half which they converted half time score (13-6).

The second half began at a furious pace and the visitors began to throw the ball to their very dangerous backs, after only 4 minutes of play a missed tackle let their left winger run in under the posts converted (13-13).

The visitors kept up the pressure and on the 64 minute mark were awarded a penalty in the middle of the field on the twenty two which they duly converted (13-16).

From the kick off the Stags pack surged down field and was awarded a series of scrums in the left hand corner of the field. With the Stags front row who dominating their opposite numbers all afternoon, ably abetted by the rest of the pack the drove the Tynedale pack back almost to the line where they were penalised for killing the ball.

The penalty was kicked into touch from the resultant lineout they surged for the line and the ball was moved to the blindside where half scrum and Captain Paul Williamson rounded the defence to score, unconverted (18-16).

The play than began to open up with surging runs from both sides and with some tremendous defence from both sides the result of the game hung in the balance until 73rd minute of the game where full back Andrew Hare ran onto the ball on the visitors ten metre line burst through three would be tackles and sent out a looping one handed pass to Neil Howe who sprinted in from fifteen metres out to score under the posts, converted by Stu Waites (25-16).

Tynedale immediately charged back up field and scored an unconverted try three minutes later to bring the score to (25-21).

This made for a nervous couple of minutes for the home team who were very relieved to hear referee Mike Hodgson final whistle. To announce a well deserved victory for this young Stags team over the league leaders. This result should give them considerable confidence as they go to play Blaydon II next week in the semi final of the second teamís cup.

Stags: A. Coates R. Wood, J. Greenwell, B. Lloyd, P. Henderson (R. OíConnor), S. Smart, A Barker, J. Boatman, P. Williamson (Capt.), S. Waites, S Butcher, N. Howe , G. Edwards, S. Cavey (A. Larkin 40) A. Hare( J. Cole 50). Referee M. Hodgson Durham Referees Society