By JGD - December 11 2005

RYTON 25 - 11  TECH


TECH travelled to Ryton having had to make a late change change to the expected line up which saw coach Michael Parker step in to the fly half role. The rest of the side was as selected.

The game started with the slight wind in TECH's favour. The home side started brightly but their early pressure was well dealt with by the TECH defence. The visitors slowly got themselves into the contest and they started to exert some pressure of their own. After 8 minutes their efforts paid off when they were awarded a penalty which full back Jon Cole calmly converted. Unfortunately their lead was not to last long and just 4 minutes later Ryton pulled level through the same medium courtesy of fly half Lowes.

Both sides were working hard to cancel each other out and this resulted in play being mainly confined to mid - field. After 24 minutes an indiscretion at the ruck by home hooker Brett saw him receive a yellow card from referee Stuart Clayton (Yorks. Soc.) Despite having a man extra TECH were unable to make the break through as home back rowers Jordan McKie and Robin Scott made the most of some lenient refereeing at the scrums and rucks to regularly kill the ball and snaffle possession for their side. TECH were then called on to defend hard as a good kick by the Ryton No 10 took play to 5 meters from the try line. Good work by Carl Brown, jumping at 2 saw him twice get a hand to home throws into the line allowing TECH to take play back upfield. Andrew Dixon then took a ball against the head in the scrum as Ryton again looked to get forward. Both defensively and in attack TECH were showing promise but they struggled to link the good passages of play together effectively.

On 43 minutes TECH regained the lead. Some good forward driving forced the home back into their own 22 where hands in the ruck saw TECH awarded a penalty. Jon Cole again converted with ease. Unfortunately again the lead was to be short lived when from the kick off indecision as to who should take the ball led to a ruck at which TECH were penalised. Home fly half Lowes converted to tie up the scores.

TECH then had to make a reshuffle as Andrew Thompson had to leave the field due to a recurrence of the back injury sustained in Tuesday night's  training session.  The game resumed after the half time break in much the same fashion as before with both sides showing some good touches only for unforced errors to bring progress to a halt.

The home side then took the lead when a poor clearance kick by full back Cole allowed the home side to build up some momentum. This resulted in a ruck from where they were awarded a penalty. Lowes again made no mistake. Worse was to follow as the re-start kick went straight into touch. From the resultant scrum Ryton again made progress and another penalty awarded saw Lowes stretch the lead to 12-6.

Shortly after this a dangerous home break was brought to an end by an excellent tackle from Stephen Jones. The respite was not to last though as TECH conceded another penalty, this time at the line out, Lowes again converting.

To their credit TECH were trying to attack when possible but despite looking dangerous they could not add to their score. From one period of such pressure winger Foster kicked ahead only for Ryton to gain possession and break upfield. The ball was quickly transferred to Lowes who broke through the ragged defence to cross for an unconverted try which took the score to 20-6. TECH then reshuffled their side in an effort to get back into the game with Brown going off to be replaced by Bulmer.

TECH again tried to hit back and from a good drive by the pack they gained a penalty which they took quickly. The ball was passed to Adam Howard who powered forward forcing a host of home tacklers to combine to bring him down. A good break then by winger Foster saw him make good ground before kicking ahead dangerously. Good following up by skipper Jones looked certain to result in a score but the home defence just managed to qwell the danger.

On the half hour TECH again had to re-shuffle things when Chris Williamson who had played on valiantly despite suffering a foot injury, had to leave the field. This resulted in Michael Parker going to scrum half as flanker Peter Hunter came on as replacement. TECH continued to try and claw their way back into contention as they ran another penalty. They were stopped inches short of the line but from the resultant ruck Phil Jukes crossed for the try. Jon Cole put his attempted conversion left of the posts. In the build up centre Jim Dickinson suffered a cut to his head which needed treatment before the game could resume.

TECH started to display some belief they could  pull things back even more and they continued to run the ball whenever possible. Unfortunately their task was made all the more difficult when Howard received a yellow card following a powerful run, the referee deciding he had slapped a would be tackler in an attempt to hand him off.

As the game reached it's conclusion Ryton sealed their win as turn over ball was moved to veteran replacement prop Garry Holmes who went over for an unconverted try taking the score to 25-11.

This was a disappointing display by the TECH side especially following the hard working albeit losing performances against the leagues top three sides. Although the players cannot be criticised for their spirit the overall application they showed was at times disjointed. With no league games next week the club will be looking to fix up a game to allow them to build up their team work and confidence.