The first Connah’s Quay club was founded in 1890, playing in the Golftyn area of the town close to the present stadium. The club reached the Welsh Cup finals of 1908 and 1911, losing respectively to Chester and Wrexham, but was disbanded soon afterwards. A new club, Connah’s Quay & Shotton, was formed in 1920, renting land at the rear of the Halfway House hotel from the Northgate Brewery, and becoming members of the Welsh National League (North), as a fully professional outfit, in 1922.
In 1928, the club moved to Dee Park, Shotton and won both the Welsh National League (North) championship and the prestigious Welsh Cup in 1929. In the final they defeated First Division Cardiff City 3-0 at Wrexham’s Racecourse Ground. Cardiff’s team, incidentally, contained several players who had beaten Arsenal in the 1927 FA Cup final. Six months later, however, Connah’s Quay & Shotton folded with debts totalling more than £1,000, leaving Connah’s Quay Albion to carry the town’s soccer banner through the second war.
Formed in July 1946 as Connah’s Quay Juniors, the present-day club was the brainchild of the Everton and Wales centre-half Tommy (T.G.) Jones (pictured), a native of the town. Attracted by the reputation of the famous international, the Deeside youngsters flocked to join the new team which quickly became a major force in North Wales youth soccer, winning the Welsh Youth Cup in 1948.
By natural progression a senior team was formed and joined the Flintshire League in 1948. Success soon followed and Connah’s Quay Juniors reached the final of the Welsh Amateur Cup in 1950/51. Prior to the 1952/53 season, the club’s suffix was changed to Nomads and the team ventured into the Welsh League (North). Though unsuccessful in their challenge for the league title, Connah’s Quay once again contested the final of the Welsh Amateur Cup, this time winning the trophy against Caersws Amateurs. The club also reached the semi-final of the Welsh Senior Cup before going down to Football League side Chester at Wrexham’s Racecourse ground. Despite winning the North Wales Amateur Cup three times in the 1950s, Nomads’ fortunes took a dip and the club moved into local football for seven years prior to rejoining the Welsh League in 1966, twice finishing as runners-up at the start of the 1970s.
In 1974, however, the club joined the newly-formed Clwyd League and spent more than a dozen seasons at this level, winning the championship twice. Without doubt, Nomads’ most successful season was 1980/81 when they won seven trophies including the Welsh Intermediate Cup, beating Newport YMCA in the final, and the Clwyd League without losing a game. Following three successful seasons in the Welsh Alliance, Connah’s Quay became founder members of the Cymru Alliance in 1990 and the League of Wales two seasons later.
Finishing 8th in the new national competition in 1992/93 was a fine achievement after a poor start as was Nomads’ appearance in the semi-final of the Welsh Cup despite the disappointment of a 2-1 aggregate defeat against Clwyd rivals Rhyl. Neville Powell joined the club in the summer of 1993 and steadily built up his team into one capable of challenging for a European place. Within twelve months of Neville’s arrival, Nomads won the North Wales Coast F.A. Cup and, in 1995/96, battled through to win the League of Wales League Cup, beating Ebbw Vale in the final at Caersws.
The 1997/98 season was one of the most successful as the club finished seventh in the League of Wales, thus gaining entry into the FAW Premier Cup, and also reached the final of the Welsh Cup for the first time. Unfortunately, Nomads missed out on a European venture when Bangor City snatched a last-minute equaliser and won the cup in a penalty shoot-out. The club’s home since 1946 was the Halfway Ground, but in July 1998 Nomads moved into the newly-constructed Deeside Stadium. Eighteen league victories during 2002/2003 saw Nomads reach the giddy heights of fifth place in the table, just a point off a ‘top four’ spot and looked to be a good bet to improve on that the following season though they failed to live up to expectations finishing in a disappointing 12th place – repeated a year later despite a dreadful start to that season. In 2006/2007, however, while ground-sharing with Flint Town United, Nomads almost qualified for Europe but had to settle for fifth place once again.
Yet, soon after the campaign ended, manager Neville Powell left for Bangor City taking his entire backroom staff and seven players with him. Londoner Jim Hackett was installed as manager and, aided by his assistant Andy Lee, immediately set about bringing new players to the club. Despite a number of setbacks during the campaign, relegation was avoided and Connah’s Quay remains one of only five founder members of the League of Wales (Welsh Premier) to have unbroken membership over the seventeen seasons of its existence.
Nomads were taken over by GAP Personnel in June 2008 and former Caernarfon Town boss Steve O’Shaughnessy was installed as the club’s new manager. But, at the end of the following season and despite a ninth-placed finish, the club parted company with O'Shaughnessy and Jim Hackett was recalled for a second spell on Deeside. After a month, Hackett moved to Hong Kong and Nomads appointed Player/Manager Mark McGregor at the start of season 2009/10. Mark is an experienced English Football League player with over 400 Football League games to his credit.
Welsh Premier League record
Ray Jones (1992 - May 1993)
Nev Powell/Phil Evans (May 1993-May 1995)
Nev Powell (May 1995 - May 2007)
Jim Hackett (May 2007 - May 2008)
Steve O'Shaughnessy (June 2008 - to June 2009)
Jim Hackett (June 2009 - July 2009)
Mark McGregor (July 2009 - to date)
History and stats based on information compiled by David Rapson.