TECH 6-15 Chester le Street

By JGD - March 20 2016
TECH 6-15 Chester le Street Saturday was something of a unique day at John Howard Park as TECH contested three games against visitors, Chester le Street. In actual fact the sides played only 80 minutes of rugby with the one result counting for all 3 games, the previously postponed away Durham/ Northumberland Div. 3 game, the scheduled home league fixture and their DCRFU Plate Competition Semi Final.

With a number of regulars again unavailable TECH went into the game with a number of enforced changes but confident of giving a good performance against visitors who were immediately above them in the league table.

TECH kicked off the game playing towards the Jesmond Gardens end of the ground. They started brightly and following a good take by full back CUMMINGS they took play deep into the visitor’s territory. Although the ball was cleared good pressure saw the hosts awarded 2 penalties which they used to take play back into the Chester 22. The visitors defence held firm until the 16th minute. A good kick ahead by scrum half LAWRENCE took play back into the 22 where the visitors were penalised at the break down. Paul MOSS made no mistake to open the scoring. The same player stretched the lead five minutes later when the desperate Chester defence were offside at a ruck in front of the posts. The subsequent penalty took the score to 6-0.

Although behind the visitors were looking dangerous whenever they got possession. TECH though frustrated them with some determined defence. Just as it looked as though TECH would keep their line intact up to half time the visitors struck. On 35 minutes a good line out take saw them set up a strong driving maul which TECH were unable to halt as the big visiting pack went over for an unconverted try.

TECH tried to hit back immediately and a good charge down by Jordan READ put the visitors under pressure. On the stroke of half time Anthony LAWRENCE attempted a speculative drop goal which unfortunately was just wide of its target leaving the score at the break standing at 6-5.

The visitors kicked off the second period and an excellent chase and catch put TECH on the back foot leading to a penalty to Chester. The kick at goal was wide of the target, just as further 2 were to be as the visitors kept up the pressure. The home cause was not helped when they had to reshuffle their pack when prop GRAHAM went off injured. Despite the changes TECH continued to battle gamely as the visitors started to gain a bigger slice of the possession.

2 tries in the space of 5 minutes then effectively sealed the game for the visitors. The first after 26 minutes of the half followed another drive from the Chester pack that TECH were unable to halt while the second came from a break from the back of a scrum in the home 22. Both tries went unconverted leaving the score standing at 6-15.

As the game neared its conclusion TECH continued to work hard but they were unable to break through a determined visiting rearguard leaving Chester to take the spolils.