By JGD - March 7 2016
TECH made the short journey up the A19 on Saturday to face Seaham in their latest Durham/Northumberland Division 3 game. Consideration had been given by the hosts to switching the game to John Howard Park due to the very wet state of their pitch but after some hard work by their members they decided the ground was playable.

The afternoon started badly for the visitors when second row Jordan READ (pictured above) twisted his ankle in the mud during the warm up resulting in him having to be withdrawn from the squad. Things quickly got worse when after 5 minutes the hosts took the lead. Seaham had started confidently but were massively assisted by TECH missing touch with three clearance kicks allowing them run the ball back before creating a gap to score a converted try.

TECH were gaining plenty of possession but some poor decision making by both forwards and backs meant they could not break through a determined home defence. As the game neared half time it looked as though TECH would open their account. From a tap penalty the ball was moved to centre Richard FOSTER who powered through a number of would be tacklers only for the ball then to be held up over the line. From the resulting scrum the visitors continued to press but once again the scramble defence of the hosts kept their line intact.

The second half followed a similar pattern with both sides having periods of possession. On several occasions good forward surges drove Seaham backwards only for TECH then to allow the opposing pack to tie up the ball as the maul was halted. On other occasions TECH moved the ball through their backs but all too often they looked to throw a miss pass without committing the defender allowing the hosts drift defence to get across and make the decisive tackles out wide.

After 23 minutes TECH suffered a further set back. Seaham gained possession before quick handling by their centres saw them breach the cover to score an unconverted try.

There was plenty of effort from TECH but the glue pot pitch and the determined play of the hosts meant they could not make the break through. When in the 28th minute they did look to have broken through they were again thwarted as Paul MOSS was held up over the line. Despite all their efforts throughout the remainder of the game TECH were unable to fashion any other real scoring opportunities leaving the hosts deserved 12-0 winners at full time.

This was a disappointing result for TECH who seemed to totally forget or disregard many of the things they had worked on during training recently. With no game next week-end it is important that they once again pull together and return to playing with the style and self confidence they have displayed in many of their games this season. The first of those encounters is a home game against Chester le Street on the 19th March, a game that is being played as a league and cup triple header as a result of the scheduled match at Chester le Street back in November falling foul of the wet weather.