By JGD - February 29 2016
JARROVIANS 8-31 TECH TECH travelled up the A19 to Hebburn on Saturday to face Jarrovians in their latest Durham/Northumberland Div. 3 game. The side once again had several changes to that of THE PREVIOUS week with Andrew ROBSON and brothers Richard and Michael FOSTER being notable absentees. TECH were THOUGH able to welcome winger Alex THOMPSON back to the side after a lengthy absence due to injury.

TECH started the game very slowly and it was the hosts who were first to press. A series of determined drives took play close to the visitor’s line but they managed to repel the danger. In the 9th minute more pressure saw Jarrovians awarded a penalty which they converted to take a 3-0 lead.

TECH were still not in gear playing as individuals rather than as a team. On several occasions a visiting break petered out due to little or no support. This allowed the hosts to play with more confidence than expected based on their lowly league position.

After 20 minutes TECH opened their account with a successful penalty from fly half, Antony LAWRENCE.

On 25 minutes TECH were reduced to 14 men when flanker Peter HUNTER was shown a yellow card for being offside at a ruck. Despite being short handed just minutes later the visitors took the lead. A clever switch by LAWRENCE saw him feed Paul MOSS who made ground before passing to come-back man THOMPSON on the home 22. The winger gleefully accepted the chance to cross wide in the right hand corner for an unconverted try.

Within 5 minutes TECH stretched their lead. A kick deep into home territory by scrum half Marcus LLOYD was chased by THOMPSON who gained possession before passing to LAWRENCE who crossed for another unconverted try. On half time TECH struck again with LAWRENCE again the scorer as he successfully kicked a penalty. This took the score at half time to 3-16. Despite their advantage TECH had not played well, a point strongly made by Coach Kevin COOK to his side.

TECH started with a little more application and after 5 minutes the scored again. The forwards quickly recycled ball at the breakdown allowing scrum half LAWRENCE to somehow wriggle through the home cover to cross for a try.

TECH were then reduced to 14 again when second row Jordan READ was shown a yellow card. This boosted the home side and after 22 minutes they narrowed the gap with an unconverted try. TECH hit back just 2 minutes later when good possession resulted in the ball being moved to MOSS who made ground before throwing a long pass out to THOMPSON on the wing. Once again the winger was more than happy to take the opportunity to cross for another try.

The hosts were still trying hard but TECH’s defence was now more solid than earlier in the game and they could not break through. After 36 minutes TECH scored their fifth try. A good drive by prop Martyn HOWARD saw him breach the defence before he cleverly off loaded to fellow prop Tony DAURGE who was up in support allowing him to go over for the try. This took the score to 8-31 which is how it remained at the final whistle.

While in many aspects this was a disappointing performance from TECH they can take some positives from the game not least the fact that they found a way to win when not playing well.


Next week sees the side again on their travels as the visit Seaham, another side positioned in the lower reaches of the table but one that is quite capable of causing problems for TECH if they do not approach the game in the right manner.