By JGD - February 7 2016
TECH 8 - 27 SEHILL TECH welcomed visitors Seghill to John Howard Park on Saturday for their latest Durham/Northumberland Div. 3 encounter. With a number of players unavailable due to injury, work and other commitments the home side once again showed a number of changes from that of last Saturday.


Seghill kicked off the game attacking the Clubhouse end of the ground and they were quickly into their stride as they took play deep into TECH territory. The pressure was relieved due to some excellent defensive work by Andrew ROBSON. This allowed TECH to take play upfield thanks to a positive run from winger Kieran SANDERSON. The ball was recycled well and moved to centre Michael FOSTER who broke through the cover to score an unconverted try.

The lead was not to last long as just two minutes later the Seghill pack drove upfield assisted by some weak tackling before crossing for the equalising score. The missed conversion left the score at 5-5.

From the kick off a great chase and catch by Kieran SANDERSON put the home side back on the offensive but good defence kept them at bay. After 16 minutes it seemed TECH had regained the lead when after a line out 10 metres from the line they drove forward. The ball was moved to ROBSON who powered towards the line. The referee appeared to signal the try but then awarded a scrum to the defending side.

After 20 minutes the visitors took the lead when they were awarded a penalty for an offence at the ruck. The successful kick took the score to 5-8. TECH levelled again in the half hour when Paul MOSS put over his kick from some 28 metres out. 

Five minutes later the balance of the game switched. TECH were pressing in the visitors half when they lost possession. Unfortunately, the referee who had been having a good game throughout missed 2 Seghill centres crossing which prevented a defensive tackle. This created a large gap in the defence which the visitors made full use of to break upfield to score. The successful conversion took the score to 8-15.

If this wasn’t bad enough just before the break TECH once again lost ball at the contact area in the Seghill 22 allowing the speedy visiting centre to outpace everyone in the race to the line to score a converted try. The half time whistle sounded immediately after the conversion with the score standing at 8-22

The second half saw a lot of play in midfield but time and again TECH were their own worst enemies as they failed to protect the ball allowing the visitors to dictate play by kicking deep into home territory. Despite being under pressure TECH  were keeping their line intact but in the 20th minute an attacking scrum saw the visitors push the home eight backwards before scoring the games final try.

TECH kept battling but regularly let themselves down by playing as individuals rather than as a team and this allowed Seghill to keep their line intact to record an 8-27 victory.

Despite his disappointment coach Kevin Cook looked to the positives in the game and the fact that for many of the players playing league rugby was part of a large learning curve. With the line up changing week on week getting the balance of the side right has been difficult but as they have shown in a number of games already this year on their day they are more than capable of giving all but the top sides a good game. It is down to all the players to make the effort to attend training each week rather than just the regulars who rarely miss a session. In this league where many sides are of a similar standard individual fitness can make the difference between winning and losing. It is therefore important that every player makes as much effort as he can to put the work in at the mid week training sessions.