TECH 24 - 0 Washington

By JGD - September 13 2015
TECH 24 - 0 Washington After their winning trip to Richmondshire last week TECH welcomed Washington to John Howard Park on Saturday for their first Durham/Northumberland Division 3 home game of the season.

On a day that experienced wide extremes of weather, the game starting in bright sunshine going through a period of torrential rain before ending in bright sunshine, the home sides performance went through similar variations as they played some good rugby but let themselves down with periods of poor decision making and control at the ruck area. Although rarely threatened by the visitors attack TECH continually allowed them to have periods of possession as they conceded needless penalties at the breakdown area. 

The game started poorly for TECH as indecision allowed the Washington kick off to bounce into touch for a line out. This allowed the visitors to apply earl pressure but it wasn’t long before the home side showed their attacking intentions. From turn over ball TECH switched play out to the left wing where Kieran SANDERSON set off on penetrating run deep into visiting territory. With the initial support being slow to get to him it looked as if the chance was to be lost as the cover got to him but Washington’s reprieve was not to last long as TECH again attacked through Karl JOHNSON who crossed for an unconverted try.

As the rain reached near monsoon proportions both sides struggled to maintain possession for any length of time but TECH defended resolutely when necessary keeping Washington at bay. When the home side attacked they looked as if they could breach the defence but all to often the final pass was misdirected or failed to go to hand allowing the visitors to hold on.

Just when it seemed the sides would reach half time with no further score TECH stretched their lead on 40 minutes. They won possession at a line out before scrum half CHESHIRE broke blind before feeding number 8 Michael FOSTER who went over for the try. Paul MOSS added the extra points taking the score to 12-0 as the sides reached the break. 

Washington were soon on the attack but were penalised at the ruck allowing TECH to clear up field. With just 7 minutes of the half gone TECH added to their tally. From good ball supplied by the pack the ball was quickly moved out wide by the three quarters allowing Richard FOSTER to power through would be tacklers for the try. MOSS again added the extra points.

The game continued in similar fashion with TECH on top but spurning any chances that came their way. To their credit Washington tried to fight their way back into the game and after 26 minutes of the half it looked as if they would score as the pack took the ball over the line but excellent defence by Richard FOSTER saw him get his hands under the ball preventing the score.

On the half hour TECH took a ball against the head at a scrummage and moved the ball wide to SANDERSON. His run was only halted when he was forced into touch some 15 metres from the line. TECH scored their 4th try in the 35th minute when they turned over Washington possession. An intuitive flicked pass from CHESHIRE some 15 metres from the visiting try line reached Richard FOSTER who again proved unstoppable as he crossed for his second try of the game. MOSS was unable to add the extras leaving the score at 24-0 which was how it remained until the final whistle.

Despite the win and the clean defensive sheet the side as whole were disappointed with the overall level of their performance in this game which gives them plenty to work on in this weeks training sessions. Despite this it was another victory as they look to establish themselves back in the league.


TECH Squad 2015-16