TECH 0- 23 Hartlepool

By JGD - January 25 2015
TECH 0- 23 Hartlepool  On a bright and breezy afternoon neighbours Hartlepool 2nds  were this weeks visitors to John Howard Park for the latest round of Tees Valley League fixtures.


Neighbours Hartlepool 2nds  were this weeks visitors to John Howard Park for the latest round of Tees Valley League fixtures. 

The game started with Pool having the advantage of the slope and strong wind and they started positively forcing the hosts back into their own 22. Some determined defence managed to keep the intact and TECH then managed to get themselves more into the game.

On 17 minutes the visitors opened their account with a penalty awarded for an offence at the break down.

 With both sides intent on attack it surprisingly took until the half hour mark for the first try to arrive with the visitors adding to their tally. A good break by Bond on the right side of the pitch saw Pool move the ball to Jason Norman who broke through the cover to score a converted try.

Both sides continued to hammer at each other but scoring opportunities were kept to a minimum such was the determination not to concede. As half time approached a missed tackle by the home side allowed the visitors to break through again resulting in an unconverted try. This took the score to 0-15 which is how it remained at the break.

The second period continued in much the same vein as the first with some massive collisions between two sets of determined players. TECH regularly took play deep into visiting territory but a mixture of unforced errors and desperate defence meant they couldn’t get the score their efforts deserved.

After 18 minutes Pool had a spell of pressure of their own and this resulted in their pack driving over for another unconverted try to take the score to 0-20.

There was no lack of effort from TECH but Hartlepool’s extra experience especially in the back row saw them regularly slow down and disrupt possession at the break down keeping scoring opportunities to a minimum. TECH to their credit kept battling but they suffered more frustration when after a good period of pressure they were penalised and Pool opted to kick the penalty to take the score to 0-23, effectively closing out the game.

This was another frustrating game for TECH. At times they played quite well but at other times their naivety especially at the ruck and maul area allowed the visitors to spoil good possession. At times players were guilty of having worked hard to reach the breakdown only then to seem undecided as whether join the ruck or stand out in defence resulting in their doing neither.

Despite the defeat though once again there were 21 players turning out and enjoying an afternoon of rugby. Whilst results are of course important far more critical is the fact that all of the TECH squad were once again given game time on the field and the opportunity to enjoy themselves.