Clowne Town Cricket Club
Draft Selection Policy
This policy is written with reference to the Club’s Constitution and Equity Policy Statement, the Every Child Matters Agenda, and the Protecting Children Guide to Sportspeople.
1. Teams shall be selected from a pool of available players.
2. Players can only be deemed to be available for selection if the club holds a valid player registration (if necessary) for that player for the particular match and if the player is a member of the club and has paid their club membership for the relevant season.
3. Players may declare themselves unavailable for selection, but may not make their selection conditional on playing for/not playing for a particular team unless this is for an exceptional reason.
4. Team Managers and Captains/Vice Captains may suspend a player from availability for one match as a result of behaviour inconsistent with the Laws and Spirit of the Game of Cricket. This decision and the reasons for it, must be conveyed in writing ( with a copy to the club secretary) to the player concerned as soon as possible. If the player is not prepared to accept the suspension, then the matter will be dealt with in accordance with the Disciplinary Procedure laid down in the Club’s constitution.
Junior (Age Group) Teams
- Team selection shall, in respect of junior teams, be the sole responsibility of the relevant appointed team manager, or in their absence the nominated deputy.
- In the first instance age group teams shall be selected from the pool of available players in that age group. Should it not be possible to field a team on this basis, players may, with the agreement of both Team Managers, be selected from a lower age group pool.
- Team Managers should, when picking teams be aware of the implications of the ECB Fast Bowling Match Directive and the ECB Injury Prevention for Fast Bowlers Directive and the limitations that these documents place on match bowling and practice bowling for junior players.
(Nothing in this provision requires the Team Manager to monitor fast bowler activity other than in matches and practice organised by the Team Manager – this is the responsibility of the player and their parent/guardian who will be advised of the restrictions.)
Senior (Non Age group) Teams
- Team captains and vice captains shall have a free hand to pick teams from available players subject to the items 9 and 10 below.
- Though the general rule is that the best team should be fielded from the available players with precedence given to the team playing at the higher level, captains and vice captains should be aware of:
· The ECB Fast Bowling Match Directive and the ECB Injury Prevention for Fast Bowlers Directive and the limitations these documents place on match bowling and practice bowling for junior players.
· The desirability to retain some balance between teams that have fixtures on the same day.
· The desirability of ensuring that registered players who are available and wish to play, have the opportunity to play matches.
· The development that adult cricket experience presents in respect of talented junior players.
(Nothing in this provision requires the Team Manager to monitor fast bowler activity other than in matches and practise organised by the Team Manager – this is the responsibility of the player and their parent/guardian who will be advised of the restrictions contained in the Directives.)
- Except in time of low player availability, when it may be necessary to pick players on grounds other than ability, a player who is picked for a team playing in the higher Derby County League division one week shall, if not picked for that team the subsequent week have the right to play on that occasion for the team playing in the next lower division. This provision does not apply in respect of any cup matches or any matches played in the Mansfield League and the Chesterfield and District Mid Week League.
9th May 2006