West 22 Barnard Castle 17

By El Pedro - November 18 2018
West 22 Barnard Castle 17 It was far from fluent rugby but we did enough to get the victory over Barnard Castle and keep our unbeaten record at Brinkburn going.

We dominated most of the early play but a few sloppy lineouts close to the visitors line turned over possession. Eventually we opened the scoring with 11 minutes gone when Peter Youll made a typical bust up the middle, drawing in two defenders and getting a nice one-handed pass away to centre partner Will Hilditch to go over under the posts. (Will is pictured picking up his Man of the Match award).


Castle came back into the game well and spent a good 10 minute period camped inside our 22 with a series of 5 metre scrums and players held up over the line. Eventually the pressure told and powerful number eight Rob Stanwix brushed off Rob Thorn to score in the corner after breaking from the base of a scrum. Greg Upton added a fine touchline conversion.


Having just levelled the scores the visitors put themselves under pressure with a poor clearance kick from the restart and then a mix-up between full-back and wing gave us a scrum close to the line. With the front rows collapsing we received the penalty and Ryan Painter almost wriggled his way over from the quick tap but when the ball was recycled Andrew Rollins crashed over to celebrate his return from injury in style. Waites added the conversion to restore the 7 point lead but as the half drew to a close he missed an opportunity to extend it further with a badly miscued penalty attempt.


We had already lost Adam Brown to a leg injury midway through the first half and with the second half barely underway his replacement Scott Butcher required lengthy treatment on the field for a badly cut leg before being carried away on a stretcher and straight to hospital. Moments later the stretcher was needed again as Barnard Castle centre Dean Bainbridge suffered a bad ankle injury and the game was further delayed.


The long break seemed to impact our energy levels and intensity and aside from a penalty from Waites for offside the visitors now looked the bigger threat in attack with Stanwix to the fore in a series of powerful runs. Winger Jack Clarke went over in the corner for their second score and his side sniffed a comeback was on.


With our attack spluttering and seemingly unable to retain possession of the ball it was a moment of skill from Waites which finally gave us breathing space on the scoreboard. First his break through the middle took play deep into the 22 and then a lovely flat pass found Jonny Hunter on the touchline and he finished off by the right corner flag.


Referee Gareth Foreman indicated there were 15 minutes to add on after the injuries and in the gathering gloom Castle continued to hammer away at the now ragged looking West defence. We somehow kept them out until the final minute when Clarke went in again, securing a deserved losing bonus point for the visitors. There was still time for one last restart but neither team threatened a further score and a forward pass brought the final whistle.


It was a workmanlike victory from West without playing anywhere near their best rugby but with Durham City toppling previously unbeaten Northern we have kept ourselves in the mix at the top of Durham Northumberland One, three points now separating the top three sides.   

West: Southern, Peacock, Hilditch, Youll, Thorn, Waites, R Painter, Wood, Rollins, Hunter, Rafferty, Linighan, Atkins, Robinson, Brown.
Reps (used) McLurg, Butcher. Not used: G Painter.

 Tries: Hilditch, Rollins, Hunter

Cons: Waites 2
Pen: Waites


Barnard Castle: Kicks, Clarke, Bainbridge, G Welsby, Summers, Upton, Doyle, Hughes, Allison, R Welsby, McConnell, Burke, Larder, Riley, Stanwix.

Reps: Brunell, Young, Parry


Tries: Stanwix, Clarke 2
Cons: Upton


Referee: Gareth Foreman [Durham Society]



West 22 Barnard Castle 17
Official West Hartlepool RFC (IP Logged)
18/11/2018 10:14
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Re: West 22 Barnard Castle 17
Dave Picken (IP Logged)
18/11/2018 12:08
Better news on injury front .
Butch’s deep cut has been cleaned up and stitched And he reckons 2-3 weeks to heal then another couple to get back to normal.
Barney say their centre appears to have a very badly sprained ankle and nothing broken.

Re: West 22 Barnard Castle 17
Hardwick Man (IP Logged)
18/11/2018 17:45
That was as tough a game as we will have this season.....tremendous and spirited defence came through in the end.

We wish both players a speedy recovery

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net