Boro 14 Bucks 57

By chris harrison - December 11 2011
Boro 14 Bucks 57
Flanker Last week I started off about the vagaries of 3rd team selection. This week the team named remained pretty much unchanged from that selected. Although we were pleased that 1st XV prop Adam Coates agreed to come on the bench to give much appreciated support.

The first few minutes looked like two teams reluctant to take charge.

Pete Considine, who had broken his shoulder a few weeks earlier and today was making his return, put up a speculative kick (it was rubbish) and chased it up. The ball bounced in the Boro dead ball area and then kept on bouncing as Considine leapt to touch down.(0-5).

However the Bucks were still very lacklustre after a few weeks where things had not gone their way.

And, true to form, Boro took the lead on 18 mins. The Bucks just didn’t appreciate the value of the ball they won and gave it away too easily. Boro built pressure and they went over close to the posts.(7-5).

The Bucks now started to build in confidence and as there attacking intentions bore fruit they started to win the favour of the referee. Penalties were taken quickly and even a throw in was swiftly taken to allow Considine space out wide. The winger still had work to do as he received the ball some 15m out but he barrelled over despite a couple of defenders hanging on.(7-10).

The Bucks were now applying real pressure and the next score came when a West attack was chipped through, the defender took the ball over the line but No 8 Ant Cameron wouldn’t let him put it down. There next came a wrestling match, the ball spilled out and winger Nige Bulmer touched it down.(7-17). Mallinson converted.

44mins in to the half the Buck found themselves taking lots of tap and goes which resulted in fly half Brendan Baggs throwing a dummy to glide over under the posts(7-24). Mallinson converted.

The half was still not at an end as from the kick off No8 Cameron received and charged upfield, the veteran then used all his guile and deceipt to release Bulmer for his 2nd try.

HT 7-29.

By now Coates was on, as openside flanker, to allow him a good runaround. He was next to score 6mins in to the 2nd half when the ball was thrown about in midfield. There was not the go forward quite desired but what it did allow was space and eventually Coates was released from 25m out to score.(7-36).Mallinson converted.

Boro were now able to exert concerted pressure and West had to soak up several minutes of pressure. But eventually mistakes were made, the Bucks moved it in the centre, Todd threw a dummy and off he went. 80m to go, and with several defenders chasing he still did his impersonation of a cantering horse to touch down under the posts. Mallinson converted.(7-43).

Just 2mins later the Bucks attacked again, they tapped and went from penalties and from a ruck 25m out scrum half Luke Mallinson spotted a gap and burst through from 25m to score. (7-50)Mallinson converted.

To be fair to Boro they now came back into the game and attacked for several minutes. A simple back move seemed to offer no threat but a couple of poor tackles allowed the home team No13 to break through and score.(14-50).

From the kick off Boro tried to attack as time died away. The Bucks pressurised and the ball was spilled. Veteran Baggs threw 17 dummies and hitch kicks as he secured his 2nd try.(14-57).Mallinson converted.

This was a real relief for the Bucks, they started off like a team very unsure of themselves but finished off confident and aggressive.

Still lots to work on – pack mobility, backline too flat and too far apart, butchering too many chances BUT top of the league

West Bucks are sponsored by the O’Brien Group. Specialists in Waste Management, Asbestos Removal, Demolition & Dismantling, Land Remediation and Architectural Salvage.