Tynedale 3 Stags 14

By Stags Management - September 28 2010
Tynedale 3 Stags 14
First try The Stags continued their outstanding start to the season with a very impressive 14 - 3 victory away against Tynedale Raiders.
After winning the toss Tynedale decided to play into the wind in the first half and with the wind at their backs West soon began to dominate their opposition. The forwards again looked powerful and organised and their dominance showed as they took the first scrummage against the head.

Tynedale, however, defended well and the opening exchanges were fairly even, with West exerting some good pressure with their attacking play and Tynedale resolutely defending. Westís first opportunity for points came on 10 mins with a penalty attempt, but Zac Southern's kick fell just wide.

After this West really started to pile on the pressure with Gav Robinson and Stu Waites making some telling breaks, and Paul Miller embarking on some of his trademark barnstorming runs.

The forwards were causing Tynedale all sorts of problems and on 23 mins they secured a turnover and after releasing the ball to the backs Paul Miller crashed over the line, with Zac Southern slotting the conversion to make it 7 - 0.

West went down to fourteen men on 27 mins when Adam Coates was shown a yellow card for an alleged trip. This resulted in a slight reorganisation of the forwards as Chris Young came off to make way for Anth Cameron, who slotted effortlessly into the front row berth. Tynedale weren't able to utilise their man advantage and it was in fact West who were next to score.

A catch and 20-yard forward drive from a lineout eventually saw Ben Lloyd crash over from almost three yards. Zac Sothern again converting to make the score 14 - 0. Tyneside exerted a bit more pressure towards the end of the first half, but with West restored to full strength with the return of Adam Coates the defence was solid and there was no further score in the first half.

The second half was always going to be harder for West as they played into the strong wind. Tynedale started off the second half brightly and applied some early pressure and when West gave away a penalty on 47 mins Tynedale opened, and closed, their account with a penalty goal, making it 14 - 3.

Tynedale continued to exert pressure, but West's defence was well organised and although they spent a number of periods in the West half they never really looked like crossing the West line.

West had a slight setback on 60 mins when Phil Henderson was yellow carded for an apparent deliberate knock down, but West didnít let this effect them and continued to press and came close to scoring on a number of occasions. On 70 mins West had a chance to further increase their lead, but Zac Southernís penalty attempt came back off the upright and it finished 14 -3.

Tynedale is always a difficult place to go and there will be very few second teams who get a victory there this season. The Stags are beginning to gel together as a team and show good maturity in what is still a fairly young side.

A few of the Tynedale supporters mentioned that the Stags looked well drilled and well organised, which is always good to hear and shows that the all time spent on the training field does pay dividends.

One point worth making is that we played 60 mins of the game with only 14 men as a result of the two yellow cards. Because of injuries and work commitments we were only able to take two substitutes, but in the end only needed to use one of these for one of the 10 minute sin bins. This really demonstrates the level of fitness within the team and also the spirit and determination to perform as a team and win!

All in all a very good performance, great result and enjoyable evening.