Stags 24 Mowden 0

By Old P*** - September 29 2009
Stags 24 Mowden 0
Dash try The Stags entertained Mowden II in their first CANDY League fixture at home of the 2009/10 season. Kicking off early at 1 o’clock so that both teams could watch the first teams play the National Division Three fixture.
In glorious sunshine perfect for watching but a bit warm for playing. With three wins under their belt ‘on the road’ the defending champions were looking to keep their good start to the season going in what was expected to be a much stronger fixture than those they had previously encountered.

And it definitely proved to be so, playing on the first team pitch and having elected to play away from the clubhouse. It soon became obvious that the very bright sunshine would be a major factor as it traversed through the early afternoon sky between the bottom (southern) set of posts.

Mowden immediately opted to put the ball into the sky and put the Stags receivers under considerable pressure as the ball dropped out of the sun.

This tactic kept the Stags pinned back into their own half for much of the first third of the game. The game was a very fractured affair with neither team managing to develop any real pattern of play. With numerous handling errors or forced passes going astray.

It was not until the 38th minute of the game that the Stags managed to string a good attacking move down the right wing and full back D. Thomas burst through Mowdens last line of defence to score in the corner, unconverted (5-0) for the only score of the half.

The second half was only 6 minutes old when fly half P. Wallis launched a high up and under at the Mowden back three, who as the ball came from out of the sun and landed on the 22 metre line made a complete mess of the recovery allowing centre W, Turnbull to sprint through and gather the ball and run straight under the posts to score, converted by S. Waites (12-0).

The Stags kept up this aerial bombardment upon the Mowden back three who failed to cope with this tactic. As a result they were unable to move outside of their half for much of the rest of the game. As the Stags pack began to drive their opposite numbers back in both the tight and the loose it took only another 4 minutes for S. Butcher to be given the ball on the Mowden 22 metre line where he evaded several would be tacklers to score a very good try converted by Waites (19-0).

As the game progressed Mowden kept the Stags working very hard for possession of the ball but on the 65th minute scrum half and club Captain P. Williamson capitalised on another Mowden mistake as centre W. Turnbull won the ball in contact and set his scrumhalf free to score the vital fourth try unconverted which sealed a win and a bonus point for the Stags, with what turned out to be the last score of the game.

With four bonus point wins from four league games the Stags have had a very good start to the defence of their league title, there is however a long way to go and many hard games to come before the end of the season.

Stags:- M. Hogan (J. Greenwell 40), A. Dixon (Capt.) J. Greenwell ( C. Robinson 25 A. Coates 60), A. Robson, B Lloyd, J. Rafferty (A. Cameron 50), D. Garside, H. Tones (A. Barker 37), P Williamson, P Wallis, S. Butcher, G. Robinson, ( L .Mallinson 55), W. Turnbull, S. Waites, D. Thomas