Seaton 15 Stags 48

By Old P*** - April 30 2009
Seaton 15 Stags 48
Butcher - First try The Stags travelled to Hornby Park in the second leg of the defence of the Pyman Cup having defeated West Hartlepool Amateurs in the last round they expected a much more severe contest. On a bright sunny but breeze evening the match kicked off with the home team playing with the wind behind them.
The first quarter of the game was dominated by the home team who responded better to the referee’s instructions than the Stags. As a result of which throughout the first half of the game neither side managed any continuity into their play.

However the first time the Stags managed to pass the ball to the left wing from a quick ruck on the 23 minute mark winger S. Butcher sprinted around his opposite number to score in the right hand corner unconverted(0-5).

Two minutes later the ball was moved to the right wing at pace and a the ball was moved back infield centre G. Edwards had a sprint through the covering defence to score converted by Wallis (0 – 12).

On the 30 minute mark centre S. Cavey broke through the home defence with a very sharp break and passed the ball to S. Butcher some twenty metres out to sprint into the corner, unconverted (0- 17).

Seaton however were not fazed by this and they then proceeded to work the ball down field to score on the fifteen metre line, unconverted, with the last score of the half (5 - 17).

Seaton began the second half as they had finished the first, by driving the Stags back through their much more experienced forwards and were rewarded with a penalty inside the Stags twenty two metre line converted (8 – 17).

The game then settled into a midfield battle as neither side could settle until the 61st minute when replacement scrum half S. Waites converted a penalty for holding on the floor (8 – 20).

From this moment on the Stags backs began to move the ball around with much more urgency as their hosts visibly wilted as a result on the 68th minute A. Hare rounded the defence to score, converted by S. Waites (8 – 27).

Four minutes later S. Butcher was set up for his hat-trick by a delightful kick through the cover defence by D. Thomas which he gathered with aplomb, converted by S. Waites (8 – 34).

Seaton however were still putting up a fight and on the 74th minute mark they scored under the posts, converted (15-34).

The Stags backs by now were playing with the fluency movement full of running that we have come to expect of them during this season and as they moved the ball across field a well timed pass on the 78th minute mark by replacement G. Robinson set D. Thomas away on a mazy run to score under the posts converted by S. Waites (15 – 41).

To finish the game in style G. Robinson scored right on the final whistle with a huge dummy to wrong foot the defence and stroll in under the posts, converted by S. Waites final score (15 – 48)

The Stags now move on to the last game of their 2008/9 season the Pyman Cup Final hopefully next week against fellow CaNDY league team Horden II.