Law Changes for next season
Dave Picken (IP Logged)
20 June, 2012 10:02
Rolling replacements at our level and below is the most interesting.

. Global Trial of Law Amendments

In recent months, a series of Law amendments have been implemented at matches at Cambridge and Stellenbosch Universities.

The IRB has now sanctioned a global trial of five Law amendments, applicable to both domestic and international competition, to commence in August 2012 in the Northern Hemisphere and January 2013 in the Southern Hemisphere.

The five Law amendments to be trialled globally are:

a. Law 16.7 (Ruck): The ball has to be used within five seconds of it being made available at the back of a ruck with a warning from the referee to “use it”. Sanction – Scrum.

b. Law 19.2 (b) (Quick Throw-In): For a quick throw in, the player may be anywhere outside the field of play between the line of touch and the player’s goal line.

c. Law 19.4 (Who Throws In): When the ball goes into touch from a knock-on, the non-offending team will be offered the choice of a lineout at the point the ball crossed the touch line; or a scrum at the place of the knock-on. The non-offending team may exercise this option by taking a quick throw-in.

d. Law 21.4 (Penalty and Free Kick Options and Requirements): Lineout alternative. A team awarded a penalty or a free kick at a lineout may choose a further lineout, they throw in. This is in addition to the scrum option.

e. A conversion kick must be completed within one minute 30 seconds from the time that a try has been awarded.

We will be providing further guidance to match officials prior to the start of the season.

2. Television Match Official (TMO) Protocol

The IRB has approved a trial to extend the jurisdiction of the TMO to incidents within the field of play that have led to the scoring of a try and foul play in the field of play. The trial will take place in the Aviva Premiership during season 2012-13.

3. Rolling Substitutions

Rolling substitutions are to be permitted at Level 5 and below during season 2012-13. We are in the process of finalising the relevant regulations, after which we will provide guidance to match officials.

Re: Law Changes for next season
west girl (IP Logged)
20 June, 2012 11:07
It's going to be interesting but also useful especially for certain frints rows who aren't going to manage a whole game but can come on as "impact" players!

Will we be able to bring goal kickers on and off American Football Style?

Dave Picken (IP Logged)
20 June, 2012 11:11
They still have to finalise details but looks like each side is going to be limited to 12 rolling replacements per game and the home team has to provide a fourth official who has to count them.

KOlly (IP Logged)
20 June, 2012 11:38
job for geoff

Carlo's Dream (IP Logged)
20 June, 2012 12:43
Carlo will be over the mooooon!

Walla (IP Logged)
20 June, 2012 18:20
I think as we can only name 3 subs we can only utilise 7 rolling substitutions in a game. Teams with 7 substitutes can use 12

MikeyBoy (IP Logged)
21 June, 2012 08:31
what is the change to the quick throw in law? I can't see how what is written above is any different to what happens now.

It will be interesting to see how the 90s to take a conversion law is enforced.

Carlo03 (IP Logged)
22 June, 2012 22:57
To 'Carlos Dream': I'm not sure if your my sub conscious or not but either way you are spot on! From a personal point of view not a bad result however from a wider rugby point of view I'm undecided. I feel that this law and the law 21.4 are a contributor to the demise of scrummaging as an integral skill/facet/art of the game. Prior to 21.4, a poor line out resulted in a team laying down a challenge to the opposition: throw again (and we will win it) or we will take the scrum (and win our own ball). With the new law most teams (poor scrums) will opt for the less combatitive lineout. Furthermore, rolling subs (probably props) will again offer a get out clause for poor scrummaging as prior to the new law, a prop getting 'dicked' would have to remain on the field until a tactical (permanent) switch was made. All in all an attempt to dilute the skill/facet/art of the scrum within rugby! Just saying

23 June, 2012 08:32
Spot on Carlo.

Paddy oc (IP Logged)
23 June, 2012 10:28
will this apply to junior rugby aswell

Referee Ray Sutherland (IP Logged)
23 June, 2012 14:06
I always said that Carlo was the most knowledgeable prop in the North East.

Fast Action Response Team (IP Logged)
23 June, 2012 15:36
Who is more handsome. Carlo or Karlos

Andy Quinn (IP Logged)
23 June, 2012 15:47
too close to call!!

Carlo03 (IP Logged)
23 June, 2012 18:35
Well said Ray, ha! I do hope that was not a real question FART?? Shame on you as well quinny!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net