"Finest Day"
Kolly (IP Logged)
01 May, 2020 10:43
Here is a discussion!!

The Go West News letter says our win over London Scottish in the previous thread was "Our Finest Day".

Was it??

Over to you .....

Re: "Finest Day"
Hardwick Man (IP Logged)
01 May, 2020 13:47
I believe our best days are ahead of us, 22years ago was a magnificent achievement in an era when small clubs could pull off something like this, those days are gone.
We are building on the future, our infrastructure is being developed and coaching is being invested in and consolidating.
We have some of the best members any club could wish for......it’s their club, it’s our passion and together our future.

Rugby........more than just a hashtag

paratrooper (IP Logged)
01 May, 2020 17:07
The lookback to London Scottish was an interesting good bit of club history for me as a newcomer.As Bruce Springsteen sings "Glory Days" Thankyou.But as Hardwick Mans says, these days can come again.It ain't over till the fat lqdy sings.Onwards and upwards People!

LesterP (IP Logged)
01 May, 2020 18:20
It's a great question/idea Kev and I hope people will get involved in it ....

I think the London Scottish game is certainly up there but I would also add a couple of others such as beating Gloucester (A) in front of The Shed, not that I was playing in that game, and some of the John Player Cup games in the 80s as this, for me, was an indication of our ability to mix it with the bigger clubs at the time ....

So, I suppose I am extending it a bit to "finest moments - sorry" - another "moment" I really liked was watching Gary Whetton out sprint Gosforth/Scotland winger Jim Pollock at Brierton Lane LoL....

crosbys (IP Logged)
01 May, 2020 21:22
I agree les and Olly, some great memories come to mind. Garry Whetton down the wing is always everlasting.

But seeing Robbo coming off the back of the scrum against Bristol has to be my best ever. Also the colts banner that read 'we stung the wasps and now to squeeze the bristols' live on for ever.

Kolly (IP Logged)
02 May, 2020 11:46
Yes Les,Gloucester away win has to be a contender. It was our first win away from home in the top flight I think. I remember even warming up in front of the shed was an experience!!

London Scottish away when we were promoted to the first division for the first time brings back good memories.

Beating Wasps, live on Sky when we were totally written off by the pundits.Wasps tried to run everything in gale force wind and rain!! Our pack that day were outstanding.

So many,when you start thinking ....

LesterP (IP Logged)
02 May, 2020 12:17
Yes...all good examples Kev. Robbo again .... "20 minute scrum" vs L Irish and Mick Watson's try vs Bath at Brierton Lane..........

LesterP (IP Logged)
03 May, 2020 17:46
1983/84 was an, albeit, personal highlight from my point of view due to the fact that we had won The Northern Merit Table after many years trying. It wasn't just the fact that we won it though (and I think it was the home game at Brierton Lane vs Sheffield that confirmed us a champions as I recall?) but what it was about what it was leading to in respect of moving forward into the National Leagues that were emerging - all that plus watching Ivan Waterson at work was one of my highlights.

See - [www.hhtandn.org]

LesterP (IP Logged)
03 May, 2020 17:51
I love Crozzas quote about the Colts Banner at the JPC Bristol game too - priceless, I recall that well and as I remember it also made Rugby Special on BBC2, including a comment by Nigel Starmer-Smith.

I wonder if Robbo managed to get hold of that piece of turf that gave him a perfect "Rovers Bounce" when he scored of his chip kick ? He put a good bit of back spin on it.

Hardwick Man (IP Logged)
08 May, 2020 21:28
Our finest

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2020 11:03 by Hardwick Man.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net