Teams
milkybar kid (IP Logged)
15 November, 2019 11:40
Is it to much trouble to post The Teams in the newsletter, i'm at a loss as to why they aren't, surely the coaches must know by 11am on the day before the game who will be playing.

Re: Teams
Parental Unit (IP Logged)
15 November, 2019 12:29
Good question but don't think you will get anywhere with it

Dave Picken (IP Logged)
15 November, 2019 12:44
I'll put the team(s) on when I get them. Sometimes issues with players not confirming they are available etc. and it can cause upset if I make an educated guess so I've stopped doing it.

milkybar kid (IP Logged)
15 November, 2019 13:14
Dave I don't think it's a matter of anyone getting upset, it's a matter of common courtesy, the coach should name the team and present it to you for publication on this forum.

There should be no excuses, if after giving you the team there has to be changes those changes can be published here.

Dave Picken (IP Logged)
15 November, 2019 13:26
Fred I think it’s more to do with making sure that players affected know whether they are in or out before it goes into “print.”
Anyway you’ve had it now - I’m away from my desk for the rest of the afternoon 😀

15 November, 2019 13:39
Teams always used to be selected on a Monday or Tuesday, pinned up in the club and published in the night Mail. You trained later in the week with the team you were selected for.
Going backwards I’m afraid .

milkybar kid (IP Logged)
15 November, 2019 17:14
"I think it’s more to do with making sure that players affected know whether they are in or out"

Is that in or out of the first team ? if in ok, if out, not playing for the second team, not selecting or at least posting the likely teams smacks of not wanting to upset some players.

milkybar kid (IP Logged)
22 November, 2019 10:32
What is the difficulty in naming the Team/Squad for tommorows game?....

Parental Unit (IP Logged)
06 December, 2019 18:20
Is there a game tomorrow?

Foot Up (IP Logged)
06 December, 2019 20:44
I agree with WPA earlier comment. Several years ago (when I was a lad) training for ALL senior players was on a Monday and Wednesday evening. After the Monday session team selection took place, most players stayed in the club chatting after training and were told if dropped.

The Wednesday training session tried to focus on the various selected team combinations to get some cohesion in the team if any changes had been made from the previous week.

I just don't understand how the Thursday training session can be getting the maximum benefit out of the session if the teams for the games on Saturday aren't known. Surly players who need informing can be told after the Tuesday session. I am making an assumption that all/most players attend Tues and Thurs training sessions.

LesterP (IP Logged)
06 December, 2019 23:18
Yep - it;s actually a very good discussion point and maybe worth pursuing a little further out of the heat of battle so to speak.

I'm trying to see the strengths & weaknesses of both approaches, having experienced both but without having ever been involved in formal selection - a personal choice - you just can't win.

Anyway, even tough I think I know the reasons for the Tues-Thursday option I have to say that on balance I am with Dave & WPA and the Mon-Wed system worked best. It has to be balanced against things like reduced player numbers/availability and I will mention "recovery" but it;s a bit tongue in cheek to be honest - recovery from what (?@@) is the counter argument - I'll leave that as a rhetorical question :-)

Finally and in some respects the Mon-Wed vs Tues-Thurs argument becomes a bit of a red herring once a firm policy is decided - as with anything. For instance, Dave and I are both used to working in High Hazard Industries in which a well thought out Policy-SOP can and often does mean the difference between :-) and :-(.

Examples might be (i) No Train no Game (I think this is already the case subject to absolutely understandable exceptions should someone be on great form and maybe it;s best for them to miss a session or spend it on Gez & Jamies Couch to get ready for Saturday) (ii) Subject to (i) No game one week = Stags Squad (emphasising Sqaud NOT Starting Team) next week .... etc..... once again player numbers/availability will always have an influence but start with the Values & Principles and the rest could and should follow if well managed and adhered to.This does give an indication of commitment/capacity as well as talent - the classic conundrum of course.

Finally and just to lighten the load a little, esp for you Dave - you may recall that once written up on the Tab Board on a Monday night the Team Selections would be published in The Hartlepool Mail on the Tuesday. I shall try to find it but in a scrapbook that Mam left me when she passed away I am pretty sure that I have a Team sheet that read something like:-

1st XV v Broughton Park or Orrell or Sale ?? (I will confirm which one if I can find it - def NW though)

G.Oritt, D.Laycock, L.Peacock, P Waugh, E.Bell

C.Bentley (Capt), D.Mitchell
P.Wood, P.Robinson, W.Neesham
I.Waterson, J.Stabler,
K.Garnett R.Sigley,P.Stacy, C.Henderson
D.Boyd

Reps - TBC.

Perhaps even in our HayDays we still had to hedge our bets now and again but hats off to R.Bateman (RIP) - it was one one hell of a front row that one - :-)

Mr tickles (IP Logged)
07 December, 2019 11:15
Haven’t they tried no training no game BUT a load work late shifts and don’t finishe late so can’t make team any thu are some first team players that do that, so work all day on a long job then shattered time finish work so training is hard for them, but are still a strong player come game day

Yes some are just lazy and don’t get out training because there girlfriend want to go some were or have a film night. So under the thumb :)

Yes I am a lazy person one of them who can make training but don’t go as a few injury that keeps getting so safe self for game day and try to do a good job when can to help the other players out and the club

LesterP (IP Logged)
07 December, 2019 12:46
Yes, all good & valid points from Mr T also.

So - is the game on at Durham today ?

If, so - Good Luck everyone - Stand Fast Boys, No Surrender !!!

milkybar kid (IP Logged)
07 December, 2019 14:55
Training nights can influence how the various teams prepare for the Saturday,as mentioned by Foot Up, Mondays and Wednesdays are preferable in terms of selection, preparation and injuries.

In terms of injuries if a player picks up a slight knock on a Wednesday it allows for an extra day to recover, the same knock on a Thursday may keep him out of the side on the Saturday, the same logic applies if a player is carrying a knock and can't train on the Wednesday it allows the replacement to train with the team.

Foot Up (IP Logged)
08 December, 2019 10:55
I don't have a concern regarding if training is Mon/Wed or Tue/Thu, whichever suits the players/coaches and results in maximum turnout.

What my main point being is that after the first session the team makeups should be known and the second session orientated around a game plan based on the selected teams strengths and weaknesses.

LesterP (IP Logged)
08 December, 2019 12:17
Agreed ;-)

Mr tickles (IP Logged)
08 December, 2019 13:31
Agreed

LesterP (IP Logged)
08 December, 2019 16:34
Ta Dah !

We are on a roll .........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net