HOME GAMES SPONSOR   HOME GAMES SPONSOR  
Sept 2 Huddersfield YMCA - Sept 16 Percy Park -
Sept 30 Penrith White House Westies Oct 21 Bridlington Alicadoos
Nov 4 Cleckheaton - Nov 25 Dinnington The Beer Club
Dec 9 West Leeds Mark & Rita Westhorp, Glen Crosby Dec 16 Malton & Norton Ron Greig Estate Agents
Jan 13 Morpeth Metcalfe Roofing Jan 27 Bradford & Bingley -
Feb 17 Driffield White House Westies Mar 10 Alnwick Rhino Rugby Players' Lunch
Apr 7 Northern Points West      

Want to sponsor a game? Contact Dave Picken  

Malton & Norton 26 West 15
Official West Hartlepool RFC (IP Logged)
10 September, 2017 12:03
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Re: Malton & Norton 26 West 15
old shepherd (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 06:16
Arriving 20 mins before KO if what I'm told is true. An old adage" failing to prepare is preparing to fail" comes to mind.

Parental Unit (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 09:50
Good point plus we look like we are rebuilding the side with so many new faces from the Stags etc.

11 September, 2017 12:47
Some big games coming up so we had better turn up in
every sense.
Hopefully some of the more experienced players will back?

mgeritz (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 14:06
We had over 30 min to prepare and if not for the bus going on a magical mystery tour would have been there with plenty of time. Not sure how we are supposed to prepare for that maybe go down th night before ? i take offence at the comment failure to prepare as there are several people involved putting time and effort preparing for the games on a Saturday making sure there is no delays or issues for the players and for games to go ahead as you should well know.

old shepherd (IP Logged)
11 September, 2017 16:16
No offence meant. I do appreciate the hard work put in by many. But forgive me if I'm wrong but I was informed that the meet time was put back. If that is the case then it is a bit of a fail. I appreciate that the driver wanted to see the countryside. Maybes we are at fault for not giving directions

cmiller (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 07:48
It is true. The meet was put back. It's all about getting the best out of the players and finding out what would work for them. A performance review was conducted at the end of last season. One of the biggest issues for the players was that we would often arrive at games very early, sometimes before the home side. The sitting about and waiting had a negative effect. And it didn't work for getting the best out of the current bunch. Each squad being different. Leaving too early and arriving too early also caused players to travel down In Their own cars and leave in their own cars, resulting in empty buses and a poor squad ethos.

It was agreed that we would leave at 1230. Which means a 2pm arrival giving an hour to prepare. We actually left before 1230. The warm up the senior team carry out only takes thirty minutes and is short and intense. So we even had room for small delays should they occur. The route was checked at meet time and was perfectly clear with no delays. The issue wasn't so much the meet time, but more the management of the bus. The route should have been cleared with the driver before departure and the driver should have also told us that he didn't know where he was heading before he got stuck on country roads in a bus doing 20 mph. The bus company should also have this matter in Hand as avmatter of professionalism. Unfortunately for us our team manager who generally looks after this area had heroically went to the aid of the stags.

I think the bus journey is an easy out but unfortunately it is not not the reason for defeat. The performance simply wasn't good enough. We weren't at the races and this is one that the players and coaches must shoulder the responsibility for. And one we'll endeavour to rectify this week.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2017 08:17 by cmiller.

Elmo Wilko (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 08:36
As Beefy Burgon stated on the day let's take the positives from the day and move on. I enjoyed my day watching the lads - hopefully the first of many for me this season.

And no - I did not get a free meal or drink - unless you count my spraffing some chips and gravy! The last time I was at Malton, 30 years of age, I had just started playing again, weight had dropped to just over 15 stones, our thirds played their firsts (allegedly) and I was head-butted and abused by their loosehead prop for 80 minutes. This is why we will never have a Yorkshire ale in the club on draught :-)

Looking forward to the return game.

cmiller (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 08:56
I bet you deserved that head butt Elmo

old shepherd (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 11:20
Carl. Thankyou for clarification.

Rozzy 1 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 15:18
That's an excellent response from Carl which provides us keyboard warriors with a coach's view and underlines how much effort goes into games before they even kick off.
On the face of it, the delay does look like a cock-up, but Carl's detailed and thoughtful response provides clarity ... great that he has gone to the trouble of doing so.

Kolly (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:24
Their team sheet carries a lot of traditional Yorkshire names in there I have noticed

cmiller (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:35
Isaac Robinsons comment "where did they get all these South Africans from?"

Erm New Zealand I think Isaac

Dave Picken (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 13:12
Isaac was right. Zweli Sodladla and Vus Dyantjies are here under a special scheme for players from South African townships.
John Vasconcelo was born and bred in Malton. Luke Raduva is an Aussie .
Dont think they have any Kiwis.

LesterP (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 17:45
Some good, classy players but some very bad sledging/language and dark tactics too - head shots, abuse of our kicker and illegal scrummaging too - seems to be a common virus in all Southern Hemisphere Sports Teams now - needs strong leadership to control it

LesterP (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 18:33
The Theakstons BB was lovely too; thought the Bus seemed a bit "Tropical" too mind; I am sure there was a bearing breaking up under were Fouldes Snr and I were sitting !

Elmo Wilko (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 19:07
I was the counter-balance to you 2 fatties Les ... hang on ... that does not read quite how I meant it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net